Everton get highly encouraging transfer news in Joshua King chase

Everton could now be the frontrunners to sign AFC Bournemouth striker Joshua King.

With the domestic transfer window deadline day fast approaching, things have picked up the pace with constant talks, enquiries, negotiations going on between Premier League and Championship teams. When Everton didn’t sign a striker on the deadline day, it was thought that they were eyeing a striker from the Championship with Bournemouth striker Joshua King being a very popular choice.

The Toffees had been linked with the Norwegian all summer but no serious attempts were made by Everton. Moise Kean’s exit does change the situation with Toffees now expected to sign a replacement to Kean and a backup to Dominic Calvert-Lewin. Once the European transfer window was closed, a lot of reports have mentioned Everton’s interest in King.

But the Merseysiders weren’t alone in the hunt for the 28 year old. West Ham United were being seen as the biggest competitors to Everton in the King race.

The Hammers also submitted a £13 million bid for King which was knocked down by the Cherries. Last season’s relegated side valued their asset at around £20 million.

The rejected bid saw Hammers also evaluate other options and their attention was caught by Brentford star Said Benrahma.

West Ham quickly made a bid of £25 million including add-ons and the Bees forward was to undergo medical soon. However, a report surfaced that the deal was in danger of collapsing with issues over personal terms.

Want your voice heard? Join the Prince Rupert's Tower team!

Write for us!

Now, this report can be quashed off as Benrahma is undergoing a medical at West Ham ahead of signing a five year deal with the Londoners, as per Sky Sports. This is highly encouraging news for Everton in their chase of Joshua King.

West Ham acquiring Said Benrahma automatically pulls them out of King race. They won’t go in for another attacker after signing the Algerian. This leaves Everton in a comfortable position to sign King.

What can be regarded as even more good news, Bournemouth are ready to lower their £20 million asking price and willing to accept a bid in the region of £15 million before the Friday deadline day, as per Football Insider. The report also stated that the Toffees are planning a late swoop.

There are some murmurs of Aston Villa being interested too in Joshua King. If the Toffees are really plotting a late move, they must do it quickly or there’ll be other hyenas waiting to pounce.